Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Art Institute Glitter

I visited the Art Institute Glitter, Inc in Cottonwood, AZ, a couple of weekends ago and to my amazement, I saw wonderfully embellished quilts featuring Art Glitter.

Who knew? This was my first experience with Art Glitter. It has been a well-kept (from me anyway) secret, buh AHA! I have discovered it. (Yes, that's my vehicle, strategically parked right in front of the building so you can't see it either.)

The creator of Art Glitter, Barbara Trombley herself was there, gave me a tour of her facility, and today I played. For more information on the Art Glitter institute, go to www.artglitter.com and check it out. I added Flax Transparent Ultrafine (flower petals), Kelly Ultrafine Opaque (green for leaves) and South Seas Ultrafine Opaque (the turquoise around the lower button and the stitching surrounding the upper button) to the sunshine mixed media piece I thought I had finished earlier. I put glitter over some of the black stitching (see in the earlier post the burlap and button near the top) to somewhat minimize it. It adds the element of color and integrates the stitching more fully.

And then I added Art Glitter to one of my small quilts for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (art quilt/Art Glitter, see the connection?) If you're a frequent reader of my blog, you will know I often audition new techniques, giving the resulting piece to AAQI in memory of my grandmother and father, both of whom suffered from Alzheimer's. For more information on the auction, go to www.alzquilts.org. This piece is 8" x 10", the small size is required by AAQI for auction pieces. It began with watercolor on muslin, then Pigma Micron pen in black and a Mitsubishi UM-153 white Gel pen added before the Purple Passion Ultrafine Opague Art Glitter embellishment. I'll probably go back in and add some "big stitch" (hand stitching) in white perle cotton for contrast before facing it and sending it off to the auction.

P.S. When hubby came in from work tonight, he said "Oh, honey, you're kind of sparkly tonight" (and I thought "It's about time after 35 years that he noticed my personality".) And then he went on to say, "I see you've been playing with your Art Glitter."

No comments:

Post a Comment