Monday, April 30, 2012

Paintsticks and Gelli Prints

Shiva paintsticks add surface design elements to gelli prints. Here I've added Shiva Artists's Paintsticks in copper from my Mini-Stick pack of copper, gold and silver metallic using punchinella. If you are not yet familiar with punchinella, it is also known as sequin waste and is shown here near the center right and also in the lower left as a series of holes. It is used as a stencil. The paintsticks develop a skin that has to be peeled off the surface each time you use them and you do have to wait 3-4 days for them to cure before you iron to heat set them, but they add great texture to your work. Shiva paintsticks can be obtained at local art stores, or online at www.jerrysartarama.com  or at www.lauramurraydesigns.com.






This is a work-in-progess. I haven't decided where to go from here. The white areas are where their were cracks or fissures in the gelatin plate I was using so I attempted to "camouflage' them using Shiva Artist's Paintsticks and a pouncer to apply the oil paint in a circular pattern. It certainly changes the flow of the design. What next? Maybe a watercolor wash over the top of everything? Let me know what you think. Like I said, it's a work-in-progress...

I used a dark teal inexpensive acrylic craft paint, added copper Golden Fluid Acrylic in copper and then applied a rubber stamp with a multi-circular design in the background. Then I filled in the white spaces created by the deconstructing gelatin plate with dots in Iridescent Turquoise and Iridescent Purple paintsticks.

Great beginning, don't you agree?



No comments:

Post a Comment