Saturday, September 29, 2012

Skull & Cross Bones

This photo is of my latest mixed media piece which features a skull and cross bones design printed on muslin and colored with distress inks by Tim Holtz. The skull and cross bones made me think of old time medicine bottles. I

It started with a piece of Soho Board from Jerry's Artarama, covered with old dictionary pages which were "glued" onto the surface using gel medium. Next, a layer of Weathered Wood crackle medium by Americana covered the surface. Distress ink pads by Ranger/TimHoltz were used to add color to the background. I used several colors including vintage photo and my new favorite, at least for this project, "black soot". Next, I used a Distress Crackle around the edges of the dark frame and again colorized it with distress inks.

Two layers of dark tulle were used and then two layers of muslin which had been stamped with archival ink and colored with more of the distress inks. The image of the skull and cross bones was an ink jet image transfer.

All layers were stapled together across the top. A hanging ribbon was the finishing touch. Voile!

No comments:

Post a Comment