Sunday, March 24, 2013

Catalyst Blades and Wedges


These are my newest toys for gelli printing...Catalyst blades and wedges. I bought one of each at my local art supply store, Utrecht in Tempe, AZ. www.utrechtart.com. They can also be ordered through Dick Blick at www.dickblick.com. They are both ergonomically correct and made of flexible silicone. They are designed for use with heavy body paints and are heat-resistant, which means they work well with encaustics, but I'm currently using them with my gelli plates to move paint around effortlessly and artistically. Made of FDA-approved silicone, they can be used in your kitchen, but these days I use most of my mixing skills for paints, not pastries. They clean up well with soap and water, and best of all, dried paints can be peeled off the blade or wedge surface in case you're like me and don't always clean up right away. The white "blade" is the 15 mm Shape 6 and the orange "wedge" is the W-05. If you're wondering, yes, the blade can be separated from the wooden handle so that it is easy to handle in your fingers for the gelli plate play.

No comments:

Post a Comment