Thursday, August 12, 2010

In My Kitchen Laboratory


And now it's time to roll  up the sleeves and get down to the experimenting. I recycled my Sunbeam electric skillet and set the temperature to just under 200 degrees. The baggie of soy wax is shown at the front left , it comes in little flakes, and you can also see it in the skillet after it is melted and then cooled. It can be recycled for later use. I've included a closeup shot of some of my kitchen utensils used on the fabrics. You will have your own favorites, think creatively! This is an easy technique to try at home. I did refer to Melly's book (Inspired to Quilt by Melanie Testa) while I played. It gave me courage. I was inspired at the class at Art Unraveled and by Melly herself. Let me show you some of my samples.

This sample was started in class on ecru fabric. Wax was applied using a 3" long piece of foam. I was slightly intimidated by sticking the foam block into the wax, but it held up just fine. I would really recommend it as a tool to use. Ivory paint was applied vertically in areas, then ivory mixed with a purple Jacquard Neopaque was dry-brushed on around the wax. Another wax application, then copper metallic Lumiere was dry-brushed on. This is one of my very favorites. I did the finishing at home, including the copper application. It still feels a little waxier than I'd like, so I will iron it again, and if need be, I'll put it in the washing machine. Yummy.


Left: Done completely at home with my personal potato masher, and (I'm so technical) the cap off a black marker, and the wrong end of a paintbrush. I  used a metallic russet and purple paints, then brushed wax over the entire surface with a bristle brush, allowed it to dry and then put black paint over the top of it all. This is a crackle technique that requires putting the piece in the freezer to allow the wax to crackle. Luckily for me, I watched very carefully as Melly did the demo on this technique in class and I was pleased with my results on this piece. In future endeavors, I will strive to obscure the potato masher somewhat, but again, I'm learning. The base fabric for this was an orange hand-dyed. Right: Base fabric was blue variegated hand-dyed. I used the kitchen tool that you use to hold the cheese or bread while you slice it, it has 3" prongs close together (aren't I specific?) It's in the center of the photo of the tools. The squares were done with the notched foam. I cut those notches with scissors.

This may be my most favorite! I began it in class with one of Melly's cookie presses on ecru fabric. I NEED MORE TOOLS! Isn't this cool? In it's finished form, it is salmon-colored with copper metallic Lumiere dry-brushed over it. The crackle technique is accomplished by brushing wax over the entire surface, letting it dry, freezing the sheet in the actual freezer, quickly making a long roll or tube of the piece and then running the hands down the length quickly to "crackle" the wax, dump the shards into the trash and then with turquoise Liquitex acrylic paint, cover the entire piece and let it cure 48 hours. I did burnish the turquoise into the fabric with the back of a spoon after I applied it. When the turquoise paint was washed away, the piece was ironed to set the paint and then thrown into the washing machine to remove any remaining wax. Dried and heat set for 10 seconds.  I started it in class as one of my early efforts and finished it at home. Lessons learned: I was rather spontaneous in my placement of the hearts, having no experience. The hearts should have been more randomly set or more perfectly. This way it looks as thought I tried to line them up and missed, when really I had no idea what they would like like when finished. The other thing I notice as I self-critique it in an effort to improve is that I really should use the tray idea under the implement to catch drips as I am carrying the utensil to the design. Specifically, see the excess light-colored areas on the two lower right hearts? This is what I'm referring to. It also could have occurred by not holding the tool stationary (wobbly hands, rotation of the tool, etc). At any rate, more experience is the cure for that. It is, I think the very first one I attempted, so we'll give me a break.

I know Melly will have more info on her website at wwwmelainetesta.com, if you're interested in learning more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment