Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Soy Wax Continued

Here is one of my first creations. It started as ecru fabric. I added soy wax with a square piece of foam and painted over it with turquoise Jacquard Neopaque paint. Next, I added more wax with 2 corks held by a long-handled fork, let it dry and applied more of the same paint. After letting it cure for 48 hours, I ironed the wax out and heat set the paint  with the iron. I then washed the fabric to further remove the wax. Lessons learned: Use a plastic butter container lid under the waxed corks to transport the melted wax to the work surface and avoid unsightly drips. (See bottom left) I'm very proud of this first effort.


This started its life as yellow fabric. The squares were made with a ravioli cutter. I used it to apply the first layer of wax, used the same paint as before after the wax was dry. The next layer of wax was applied with a piece of copper hollow pipe, perhaps one inch long, and held down in the wax pot by a pair of hemostats. I loved the circle effect created by the copper pipe. Next, another light coating of paint. And now the hard part, be patient and let the paint cure for 48 hours. Remove wax, heat set paint, and let everything dry.

This is such fun. What a class! What a teacher! What an event!



No comments:

Post a Comment