Monday, August 9, 2010

Soy Wax class with Melly Testa

Another glorious day at Art Unraveled. I've never worked with Soy Wax, so this is all new to me. I'm sharing some photos I took during class that you might find interesting... this first photo is a closeup of the wax pots. The second photo shows the wax pots and under the table you can see the kind we used in class, Presto Kettle Kooker and Steamer. It is available at Amazon and Walmart. 

The soy wax is used in candlemaking and has a low melting temperature (180 degrees) so it is safer for your washing machine and it is food grade. I've learned all of this from Melly, please don't think I knew a single thing about this before her class. But since my hometown is Decatur, Illinois, the soy bean capitol of the world, I felt compelled to learn this very creative technique. Soy wax is made from soybeans, after all. Then of course if you figure into the equation that it is so much fun, you know I have to experience it. I took the summer off from teaching to try new techniques, so ta da! Here's a new one for me, how about you? And if you want further information, get Melly's book, Inspired to Quilt or her DVD, Print, Collage, Quilt. Or both, like I did.


And here is a teaser, some of my fabrics in progress. They have had paint and then a layer of soy wax applied, using ordinary kitchen utensils like potato mashers and sponges. I'll have more to show later on, when I continue this process at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment