Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gelli Plate Prints

Using Heavy Body Acrylics by Golden
Here are photos of my Gelli Plate prints. I love the Gelli Print technique! It is opening new doors of creativity for me.
My First Using Golden Heavy Body Acrylics
My Favorite

Faux Script Etched In


Crafters Workshop Stencils (Gears)

Crafters Workshop Stencils



Crafters Workshop Stencils

Kitchen Utensils and Stencils

If you to are interested in gelatin plate printing, there is an ideal tutorial through the Sketchbook Challenge by Leslie Tucker Jennison at http://sketchbookchallenge.blogspot.com/2011/05/gelatin-plate-printing-tutorial.html. She provides you with step-by-step instructions on making your own gelatin plate and how to get successful prints every time. I would highly recommend this tutorial for anyone who is interested in this technique.It is so freeing and so fun and takes so little time, effort and materials. Great fun! Everybody should try it.

If you'd rather, you can purchase Gelli Arts Gel Printing Plates. They are already prepared "plates" available in  6" x 6" or 8" x 10". They can be purchased online at http://www.gelliarts.com/. There is a video on that site that is worth watching.

While I did try several paints varying from the more expensive to the less, I found that I liked the Golden fluid acrylics and I loved Heavy Body Acrylics by Liquitex best. I tried a variety of household utensils, anything that wasn't pokey or sharp at the tip will work so that it doesn't damage the gelatin, but I'm so anxious to spend more time with this technique and experiment with stamps, feathers, other organic materials and such. My works posted above are made with white muslin, but I envision organzas, hand-dyes, commercial prints, a wide fabric selection, more stencils. I love Crafter's Workshop stencils as you can see.

I loved using the hard rubber brayer to move the paint around after I applied with with the foam brush, but did quickly learn that multiple trips back and forth across the surface of the gelatin made for more color smearing. If you don't want your color moved around so much (you run the risk of it getting muddy), make fewer paths and consider going in one direction only.

But all in all a lovely, creative day.