Friday, April 20, 2012

Alcohol Inks

Today I played with Adirondack Alcohol Inks and painted washers from the local hardware store. The larger washers are 15 cents each, such an expensive supply to purchase, although if you are lucky, you may find some out in your garage tool box (where I found the smaller ones).

I just dabbed the alcohol inks onto the washers after using the scrapbooking adhesive to hold them in place temporarily to the silicone crafting sheet so that their escape attempt wouldn't be successful. Both the applicator and the adhesive are shown near the bottom of the photo.

For more information on this technique, here is a link to the YouTube video that I viewed that was my inspiration. www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiWFdgL1yfw


I'm gearing up to work on my Inchies for the Art Unraveled 2012 Inchie Swap and may use rusting as my technique of choice. I'll add these to my Inchie stash for later. If you are not familiar with Art Unraveled, check out www.artunraveled.com for information on the 2012 workshops. This will be my fourth year to attend this wonderful mixed media retreat here in Phoenix which features teachers like Jane Davies, Jane LaFazio, Melly Testa and Ruth Rae.

For this technique, I applied alcohol ink to an ink jet transparency sheet and "smooshed" it around. I only used three colors in this top photo.  Eggplant, ginger and my personal favorite, caramel. Again, I am stash-building for my rusting projects.

 I've added Terra Cotta to this sheet and have dropped circles of ink onto the transparency sheet here. To watch the You Tube video on this technique see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKrZDX4PBE

This capture is when I have made the 3rd in the series of alcohol inks on ink jet transparencies. I have added both eggplant and denim to the other colors I used previously to obtain this darker image.